7.16.2015

100 favorites




I was inspired recently to get serious about sketching and let my ideas flow. I was reading over Abigail Halpin's blog (yes, I was going pretty far back into the bowels of her site because I'm a huge fan) and she linked me to this post by John Hendrix - in order to find your voice, you need to be creating what you love.

This idea has been hovering in my thoughts for a couple of months now. Am I really making things that I can stand back and appreciate, because I think it's lovely? No, I'm not trying to be vain. But really, when I'm with my art, up close and in it all the time, I might as well make what I like!

This is contrary to what I've been doing to challenge myself recently: Art Challenges. I think I've gone through one 40-day, two 30 days, and even made a few short 5-day challenges for my friends and myself. But the challenges are for stretching your technique and broadening your art subjects, not  necessarily to hone your "style."

I think I'm ready now. Honing has begun:

1. Tigers. Always
2. Desserts
3. Anything German
4. Traditional Korean clothes
5. Tall ships
6. Teapots
7. Mountains
8. Coffee (even though I never drink it. It's the smell...*sigh*)
9. Portraits
10. The 1920s
11. Insect
12. Leaves
13. Birds
14. Herbs
15. Fruit
16. Kitchens
17. Chinese characters (Hanja, as Koreans would say)
18. The night sky + constellations
19. Quilts
20. Famous artists

As for the other 80, I'll jot it down in my notebook. Maybe you can spot my favorite things from now on...?

No comments:

Post a Comment