6.23.2015

First Post

Hello! Welcome to my thoughts ^_^

It's been a while since I've been consistent with blogging. Every time I tried to start a new blog, I felt awkward, like I didn't have enough to offer. Who is going to read about my menial life? Well, a few years ago, you might have, if you followed me here. Bless you! That said, I'm a new girl - I'm ready to share something that is incredibly important to me: Art.



Here goes...

I've been doodling since I could hold a pencil, always making something. I think I was a troublemaker as a child, so my mom tried to preoccupy me with crafting and drawing. Thank you, Mom, for starting me out on (what I hope will continue to be) my lifelong passion for making things! So far, I've done a bit of everything. Most recently, I've landed on illustration and watercolor.

When I had to make a decision for a major in university, I was strongly encouraged to do something practical. At the time, I was head-over-heels with theatre, always singing, dancing, watching movies, musicals, and designing costumes. I thought Costume Design might be the more practical choice, between that, singing, and dancing...and here I am, a decade later, teaching English as a Foreign Language Instructor in South Korea. Safe to say, I ran away from my original declaration (5-year-old me: "I want to be an artist!") for the sake of practicality. And I wound up even further removed from the artsy world, doing something I swore I would never do! (teenage me: "A teacher? Yuck! People who can't do, teach...!")

Which brings me to now: I'm married. Working a full-time (read: grownup) job. I cook my own meals and schedule my own dental cleanings. I think I have arrived at adulthood and obviously have chosen Practicality every time we met. Now I want to have fun! So, these days, I travel when I can, go hiking, connect with friends, but mostly - paint constantly! I'm sure my husband is sick of seeing me set up at my desk, some youtube video droning on, as I clink my paint water glass and hunch over my work. But this! This is something I feel proud of. Art was never the practical choice. After all, how many artists do you know that don't need a day job?  But right now, art is the only choice.

Sewing was my first real art relationship. We went out for a while, I worked hard, we had a good time, then we broke up. We still meet now and then, especially if I'm on vacation to the States. (Hit me up if you need a wedding gown, by the way - I've made several now and they're not too shabby!) No, Sewing would have to take a backseat to my first love. I don't profess to be anything great with a paintbrush, but I need to move forward and become comfortable with imperfection. I'm learning every day.

Maybe it's that I've found a rhythm in life, which is translating to monotony and so I needed something new. Maybe I missed the creating, designing, and making? (Although, I swear I made so many costumes, I never wanted to see a sewing machine again.) For whatever reason, here's my imperfect, colorful, sometimes silly/serious take on things through my illustrations. I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment